Here, at Tips of the Scale, an amazing community has been built. There are a number of us that started a little private chat room where we come and go as we so please, chime in when the time allows and maybe engage the group with a milestone PR or new found ah-ha moment in therapy.
I will admit, often times the conversation is more than R rated and the giggles just keep coming. Today an article was shared by one of our friends on 23 Things That Inevitably Happen When You Start Getting in Shape. We were picking our top few that we could related to, and then, really out of no where, someone typed, “Hey, I’m still shocked when I look down and see my penis. Lol.” This is what inspired today’s post!
This list is not exhaustive (well, in the literal sense, maybe), but from our small group of chatty Cathies, a great list of “see ya laters” and “good to meet yous!” since getting healthy and losing some of that extra poundage was borne.
Now, I don’t want anyone reading this to think we’re a bunch of privileged snobs that have nothing better to do than bask in the glory of our new lives – but reality is, we kinda are. This road is hard; real hard. And if it means that we can sit around chatting about what we don’t miss about a world that can treat you differently when obese, than so be it! I can tell you from my own personal experience, I love shopping non plus, not having back fat and being able to see my toes. That’s just honest. Read on!
See Ya! (the things in life we will not miss!)
- visiting the ONE store that carried clothes that fit me
- seat belt extenders
- feeling my stomach rest on my thighs when I sit
- back aches from heavy walking days
- rubbing ________ (body) parts that would chafe in the hotter months causing heat rash
- rejection – while we all have our reasons for transformation, part of me just wanted a girl friend in my younger days. And I was rejected by every attempt in this department
- pulling my t-shirt out of my stomach rolls
- my back fat and the fact I could feel it jiggle when I moved
- inability to play with my kids
- starting my day with body cramps and my head in a haze
- constant sweating
- wear in the thigh area of all my pants
- going sideways in the turnstiles – this prompted a little confession: I got stuck in a revolving door once. Ended up with a 4″ blood blister on my side…third layer up…I didn’t have a spare tire…I had a whole #@ing set.
- always feeling like a victim
- rounding my shoulders forward to hide my guy boobs
- wearing three sports bras to do any sort of exercise
- the constant ‘stares’
- having to show up early to every movie theater to make sure I got a seat where I wouldn’t have to sit next to someone
Good to Meet You! (what we now enjoy)
- waking up feeling awesome and with energy
- better longevity in the bedroom – confidence and physical ability have both increased!
- I love walking – everywhere and for miles and miles on end!
- no guilt in saying no to food
- clearer skin
- slim fit and nice clothes
- attention from the other sex
- people treating me with greater respect
- visible veins in my arms and hands
- I know that I can make things happen, big things, just by putting my mind to it
- a healthy body that I’m proud of and that continues to amaze me
- sitting in a plane seat with no issue
- going to the restroom with no limitations
What are you most looking forward to enjoying as you continue/start your transformation journey? What will you be happy to say good bye to?
Would love to hear from you!